Infant massage provides a wonderful, nurturing experience for both you and your newly adopted child or foster child. It offers a unique way for you all to communicate, bond and connect. For any infant or child the transition from one home to a new family can be stressful, daunting and overwhelming. Adoptive parents can also feel this as well.
In the early days during the adoption introduction process of meeting your new baby, child or children most of the time is spent on specific and well planned out transitions which includes as much activity of bonding and attachment as possible.
Skin to skin contact is often promoted as much as possible where appropriate, and play activities, as well as taking over the full care over those first few days and weeks.
The benefits to adoptive parents and children are vast. Baby and Child Massage:
- Enhances bonding and attachment
- Releases positive hormones in both the parent and child such as oxytocin, a great feel good hormone emotional mediator and regulator - often known as the hormone of cuddles!!
- Offers an amazing approach to promote positive skin to skin contact in a non threatening way to the child.
- Helps release endorphins the body's own feel good hormones
- Promotes relaxation in both the parents and children
- Offers close contact for good eye contact and voice recognition
- Helps build confidence in handling the baby or child for the parent and confidence in being handled by the new parent for the child
- Enables the parent/s and child to get to know each others non verbal cues and build the basis for communication
- Allows babies and children to regress safely to a younger space to ‘catch up’ that time with their new family
- Allows adoptive parents the opportunity to ‘catch up’ on those missed months or years when the child was not living with you.
- Relieves stress and tension in both the parent and child
- Offers parents tools for being able to calm an unsettled baby or child
- Supports development and growth
- Can improve muscle tone and co-ordination
- Aids sensory processing
- Helps with ailments such as wind, constipation and teething
- Aids sleep patterns
- Promotes overall well-being and boosts immunity
If you’d like to know more about any of our baby massage courses please contact us online or give us a call on 01273 702 496.